As someone who likes to eat a diet made up of mostly whole foods, I think it’s imperative to have a kitchen that reflects that. Makes sense right? For me, I know that I kinda suck in the self discipline department. While I’m not one for restriction or for ignoring cravings… When mum goes and buys chocolate bars and sprinkle biscuits this gal cannot help herself!! I have my own section of the cupboard and have since the age of about 14 and the contents of my shelf have definitely changed over time. From stocking up on diet jelly and sugar free syrups to now, having everything I need to whip up a nutrient dense snack/meal or dessert – no sugar free stuff in sight.
My own Pantry Essentials for a Wholefoods Kitchen.
- Chickpeas, lentils, or four bean mix
- Tuna in spring water or olive oil – the flavoured ones contain so much other stuff you just don’t need!
- Diced or whole tomatoes – go for one that is 100% tomato
- Coconut cream and coconut milk
- Pasta sauce – go for one that has the least amount or no added sugar
- Almond milk – vanilla unsweetened and original unsweetened, I buy bulk when it’s on sale
- Brown rice – I don’t eat much of it, but if I make curry for Tom or the fam I’ll serve it with brown rice
- Quinoa – great for bulking up salads, using in place of brown rice or oats in porridge
- Rolled oats – if I ever get a craving for porridge, pancakes or overnight oats
- Gluten free pasta
- Freedom Foods gluten free clusters – obsessed with the pear flavour!
- Turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, cloves, chilli flakes, morrocan spice mix, paprika and of course salt and pepper!
- Raw nuts – cashews, almonds, pistachios, macadamias
- Coconut oil
- Nut butter – peanut, cacao peanut, almond, tahini
- Almond meal, coconut flour
- Chia seeds – black or white
- Pepitas, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, buckinis
- Honey, maple syrup, coconut syrup
- Desiccated coconut and coconut flakes
- Cacao powder
- Cacao nibs
- Dried dates, sultanas, goji berries, dried apple, dried apricots
- Loving earth and pans chocolate – my absolute favourite vegan chocolate
- Coffee beans – I start every day with a coffee, organic if possible
- Dandelion tea – my coffee alternative
- Sleepy tea – I have any one of these before bed, without fail
- Fruit tea – apple and chamomile, forest fruits, pomegranate and raspberry, anything that’s fruity!
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sweet chilli sauce – no sugar added
- Loving earth hot chocolate